Tuesday, March 20, 2007

More On Online Newspapers

I've posted a lot recently about the controversy over the future of newspapers in the online era. But I'm not the only one. My old friend and former basketball buddy Mark Glaser takes on the issue in his excellent MediaShift blog for PBS.

In his latest post, Mark also takes the SF Chronicle's David Lazarus to task, but ends with a much more positive position, that the Web offers newspapers, and the news industry new opportunities as well as new challenges:

My argument is not that investigative journalism will jump from newspapers to the web. My argument is that investigative journalism will take place in many mediums, from the web to cable TV to network TV to blogs to any place where people congregate to ask important questions and team up to find answers.


I think he's right in many ways. But I am still worried about the money question. Where is the cash going to come from to pay for this. The new media, as a whole, are not yet bringing in anywhere the bucks that print does (did?). And I don't think they ever will. And that will lead to unforeseen implications for journalism.

1 comment:

  1. I know online growth isn't replacing print revenue because I just spent five years working in the online arm of a largely print-based publishing company. I've talked with execs about it and there's simply no way to replace print's fat profit margins. In print, advertisers pay for prestige and image, and online they want numbers and results. There's no comparison.

    ReplyDelete